Thursday, March 24, 2011

Database Project - Microsoft Access

I recently completed the Microsoft Access Database Project on the 23rd of March 2011. During this project I acquired a few of the necessary foundational tools needed in order to successfully navigate and effectively utilize Microsoft Access. Throughout the project I learned how to create and name/rename a new table as well as assign a primary key. I learned how to check and alter the field data type, add a description to the field data type, and enter new information to the table. Some more valuable information I learned while completing this project was how to create a query and how to alter the query in order to return only certain information as well as crafting the query to order the data in a specific way. I also had the opportunity to learn how to create and name a form within access. During the section on forms I learned how to alter what fields show up on the form, how to assign something to “read only” i.e. not editable, and I also tested the form by entering in two new sets of data. During the last section of the project I focused on reports. While working on the reports section I learned how to create and name reports, assign data sets to the report, grouping and sorting the information within the report, altering the report so that all fields are present and on one sheet of paper after being printed, and adding a footer. I had never worked with Microsoft Access before, after completing this project I now have added a very diverse and adaptive tool to my arsenal.
I think there a few possible ways that we can enhance the overall functionality of this database. One thing that we could do to make this a little more functional would be to collect the members phone numbers and add phone numbers field to the data. Also on the “New Member Form” It was never stated to change the header on that form from “Members” to “New Members Form” the only thing we were told to do that was remotely close to this was naming the form “New Members Form” but nothing as far as changing the header, the header “Members” doesn’t make any sense? Why would you label a form for new members as members? It does not properly describe the form, which is for new members. The form could also include a field for a phone number. I think it would also be helpful to group the ex-members that have left within 6 months by gender so we can more effectively analyze the data. Besides those few minor details I think the project was formatted well and very much functional.

No comments:

Post a Comment